Monday, August 15, 2022

Farwell Munir Ahmed Butt

 
(15 June 1953 - 12 August 2022)
The stop watch for everyone has been clicked on since our birth and it is made to stop when our time is up in the earthly world. That is the day when we are no more anymore for death is an irreversible cessation of our wordily life. Every man or living being has to face this one day when from a living being, we are enshrouded and deposited into our grave. This is the day we see our dear and near ones for the last time when the angel of death takes them away from us. Though it is the will of Allah to take us back when our time comes, yet the pain of missing those, now no more, cannot be expressed in words.

12 August 2022 has been one such day when another good man, brother and comrade of almost five decades breathed his last and bade us farewell forever.

Recalling memories of Munir Butt in PMA, there have been many group photos of Khallid Platoon No. 3 in which Munir figures out. The first photo herein under was taken on the sad departure of our very good brother Shaffi Luq Luq who unfortunately had to leave PMA in the first term:
Tariq Satti, Maten Shaffi Luq Luq, Jhahngir and Munir Butt
Munir stands extreme right on our first Eid at PMA. Others include (from left to right) Tahir Kahlon, Asim Jilani, Akhtar Abbas Janjua, and Alamgir
Munir stands fourth from left with BSM Masoom (late) during boxing days of Second Term

The above two group photos have been shared by Syed Mateen, while the following photos are shared by Jamal Zia of his platoon of Second Term in which Munir is also present:
Major (later Colonel) Shuja Ullah Khan Tarar recalls: Munir was my cadet in PMA. He later served with me in 19 Sind. A very fine officer. May Allah bless his soul. Ameen.
Munir was a strongly built muscular young man when he joined PMA. Tahir Kahloon tells us that he was a body builder before joining the academy. Thus, it shouldn't be a surprise that he excelled in PT and surpassed everyone when it came to physical fitness and endurance.
Munir receiving the PT Medal from Commandant PMA (1977)

Therefore, it was no surprise that he was awarded the PT Medal for his superb fitness and robustness. But time takes a heavy toll on us when we start to age and our parts slow down till, we cease to be. Munir had a hard time in his last days, suffering from dementia for long and then finally falling prey to Covid-19. 

The PMA Days - Final Term Aurangzeb Company 1977
Seated: CSM Salim, BQMS Saleem, SUO Khalid, Major S A Naqvi  (Platoon Commander, ASC), 
CJUO Fazal, BSM Farooq, CQMS Mohsin
Standing (first row): Sergeants Tariq, Rauf, Javed GC Jilani, Sergeant Azhar, GC Shaffi, Safdar, Khattak
Standing (Second Row): GC Munir, Shoaib, Sergeants Farooq, Altaf,  Ishraque  and Qadri
Thronging the field artillery gun during Field Firing, Munir is standing third from left
There aren't many photos of Munir in any get together with me. Even the 2008 get together at Abbottabad, though he attended but missed the group photo. However, I had collected thumb size photos in which Munir figures out from second last row extreme right. Hereinunder Munir is seen standing with FS Tony, Shahid Maqbool, Azhar Ali Shah and myself:
Munir was quiet, yet friendly and full of life. In his last years, he has been very conscious of his religious obligations and when I once met him for the last time, though many years ago, I found him different from others and we talked about religion. He showed his dismay on our merry making and lamented that we were steering off course from Sirat e Mustaqeem and that our actions did not correspond to the tenants of Islam. And that time, I was like the lot and perhaps did not get his message right. But his views left a deep imprint on me and recently I too started following the path he was walking on, I regretted not having listened to him then and thus wasting away so many years of life.
Remembering Munir, Syed Haider Raza Mehdi recalls: I knew him from my PMA days as I was their 3rd term Platoon Sergeant when they joined in the first term. A very gentle quiet soul.  He was an extremely good wrestler and kabbadi player, before he joined PMA.  Won many awards and medals. May Allah SWT Grant his dear departed Soul with Eternal peace and happiness in the Final Abode. Alhamdulillah. Ilahi Aameen
Recalling Munir one Shaukat Malik from the Veterans' forum on Face book recalls: A jolly upright and good human being. We served together in ISSB Kohat as GTOs and everyone enjoyed his company. May Allah bless him. Ameen
There has been a great pause since, for he was not visible in course functions. Lately his absence was noticed by Muhammad Jamil on course forum and the Muhammad Asif was the man who finally traced him out very recently. Shahid Noor and Ikram Kiyani visited him at his home in Bahria Town and was really sad to see the once master of the tracks lying helplessly on the bed, recognizing no one. While we had just taken a sigh of relief for him having been found out, he was admitted in hospital to spend his numbered days there till 12th Augst 2022. Had Jamil and Asif not tried to find him out, Muir may have gone away without anyone of us ever knowing.

His funeral was attended by almost 20 course mates. I wish I could have joined in saying farewell to our brother for I was just recovering from acute fever I was suffering from the last three days.

Note: Please forgive me for not finding any more photos of Munir in my photo reservoir. If his close associates/platoon mates have any photos or memories to share, please inbox me in my WhatsApp.

May Allah bless Munir Butt and all our course mates who have left us earlier than us and rest their souls in peace up in the heavens. Ameen. 

Please refer to our Reference Page to read about all those of us who have left us midway for their Heavenly abode.

6 comments:

Zahir Khan said...

Thanks JHB for your scribe.
At least there is some consolation that Munir Butt's departure didn't go unnoticed and there was some representation of his coursemates at his final journey.

S A J Shirazi said...

Thanks JHB, the historian of the 55 PMA. Where as a prayer will go up for Munir every time anyone reads the blog, a silent prayer will go up for you too.

S A J Shirazi said...

True.

Jamil said...

The Prophet (PBUH) said, “O Allah! There is no life worth living except the life of the Hereafter.
(Al-Bukhari)
“Indeed, to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth; He gives life and causes death. And you have not besides Allah any protector or any helper.” (Surah Taubah verse 116)
I am so sad that Munir Butt our dear Coursemate just passed away quitely on August 12th, 2022. He was neither visible on any forum nor anyone knew his whereabouts.
I usually try to find lost Coursemates n find them later or sooner. I first time posted on Brothers55 whatsapp Group (as Admin) on November 3rd, 2020 but no one responded positively, In July 2022 i once again posted on the forum n Asif who was here spoke to me n promised to locate him in Abbottabad where he once had his busniss (A Grocery Store).
Asif's brother informed that he found his whereabouts n provided us with his Son's cell number but unfortunate n shocking news was that he has been sick since 5 years. Anyways later Shahid Noor visited n established contact. I also spoke to his son n so did Asif n kayani.
Sad that he was admitted in ICU n couldn't survive n passed away.
انا للہ وانا الیہ راجعون
May Almighty Allah rest his soul in the best place of Jannah tul Firdous n grant his family Sabber e Jameel Aameen.
Thanks for sharing time and creating vlog page for Munir Butt.

Ali Akbar said...

It's really a shocking and saddened news regarding his unnoticed prolonged illness of Munir Butt and his departure to eternal peace. Myself and Munir Butt were together at Quetta and Lahore (1982-87) and had very cordial family relationships. He stood with me during my hard time (31 Dec 1984).
May Allah bless him the Highest place in Janat ul Firdous! Aameen

Col Mushtaq (R) said...

Thank you Jalal for an excellent and memorable account of Munir Butt. As I was recollecting my memories about Munir, before penning down my reflections, I kept asking my wife regarding details of our meetings with Munir and his family. Once my volley of unending questions didn't stop, she looked little agitated. I said to her "look you know me for the past 37 years but I knew him (Munir) for the past 47 years". Obviously, later I had to act little sheepishly in an effort to appease and restore her mood:-). You know at this age, you can't afford that! Anyway, after PMA my first encounter with Munir was in Okara Cantt where he was serving as DQ in the Div HQ and I was also doing as DQ of an infantry brigade. Yes he was not very talkative but a caring personality. Then we met once after retiring as AQ from CMH Abbottabad, he got settled in Habibullah Colony and ran a book store named Darusslam opposite Army Burn Hall College. I was then the Commandant of CAD Havelian. Every time I visited him he would offer a special karak chai which I don't forget till today. He used to tell me that being asthmatic, Abbottabad suited him well therefore he decided to settle there. Me and my family would visit them quite often. Our main topic for discussion/ interest used to be religion, Quran and different school of thoughts. Later he told me that his children are persuading him to shift to Rawalpindi/ Islamabad where there were better opportunities. He first shifted to Askari 14 and then to Bahria Town. He did attend one odd Dars e Quran organised by me. We visited Munir and his family once they shifted to their new home in Bahria Town. They joined us on my son's wedding in Dec 2015. Thereafter I think I only met him once somewhere/ in one of our get-togathers. 2018/ 2019, I tried to call him once or twice but receiving no response thought that probably he is away to UK with his sons. I think that was the time once he had started suffering from dementia and there was a disconnect from the course get-togethers. Thanks to Jamil, Asif and others who finally established the connection with the family but alas it was too late for us to do anything for him. That's the will of the Allah Almighty and we bow in submission to that. Being a bodybuilder/athlete, I can imagine how hard he must have fought with the disease. I must say, he stood fast with his religious beliefs, was a pious noble and practising Muslim. With so many witnesses for his piety, Insha Allah, he will be rewarded with higher places of Janna. Amin.