Monday, July 6, 2020

7th July 1977 - The day we lost two of our comrades

 
During the OW portion of the course, we were to witness to a tragic air crash. It was a bright sunny day and we were happily going to the ranges for MG fire. While walking I heard the noise of jets overhead and as I looked up it was a formation of four MiG-19s of the PAF on a training mission from PAF Base Samungli. While watching and admiring the pilots for their free flights and perhaps the pilots too watching us down below, suddenly there was a bright flash in the air followed by a big bang and debris of the two of the MiGs which had collided started to fall down in hundreds of pieces.
Although it was the first eye witness air crash of my life, it wasn’t any moment of achievement – rather we prayed for the safety of the pilots. Later it was revealed that the pilots perished in the air crash.

Unknown to us, it was the next day of a dreadful accident up in the mountains of Nathia Gali where a bus carrying cadets of PMA fell in a ravine, taking the lives of 15 cadets, including our dear Arshad Aziz and Iftikhar Hussain who were relegated to 56 PMA Long Course.  I will make a mention of this air crash once again when narrating in detail the bus accident at the end.

The day was July the 7th, 1977 when the ill-fated picnic bus en route Murree-Nathiagali, was carrying 44 cadets of the senior term of 56 PMA Long Course along with two of their platoon commanders. Among the cadets, five of our course mates who were relegated to 56 PMA Long Course were also traveling, namely: Arshad Aziz, Iftikhar Hussain, Mushtaq Muhammad, Hamid Naqvi and Vincent Samuel.

The details that will now follow have been penned down by GC (later Lieutenant Colonel) Kaiser Hameed Khan, ex 56 PMA Long Course, who was also onboard the Nathiagali bound bus and the account has been provided to me by our friend Mushtaq, who incidentally was also on the same bus. 
Hamid Naqvi with BSUO Zia 56 LC in Murree. Just 4 hours of this photo, Zia died in the Donga Gali accident. 


Now read the eye witness account of the tragedy:
A picnic was arranged by the senior term cadets of our course at Nathiagali via Murree and Ayubia. As is common with the picnic tours, the picnickers sing and shout to make the best of their fun trip. And with Hamid Naqvi on bus, songs were readily forthcoming. Whether it was a coincidence or something else, Hamid sang his favourite song, the meaning of which we understood a little while later.
Chalte Chalte Meray yeh Geet Yaad Rakhne—Kabhi Alvida na Kehna- Kabi Alwidah Na Kehna.Rootay Hunstay Baas Youn He Tum Guun Gunatay Rehna- Kabhi Al vida Na Kehna.         Beech Raah main Dilbar  Bichar Jayain  Kabi ham Agar Aor Sooni Sooni se Lagay tumhay duniya ki yeh dagar- Hum loot Aiyan Gaay – Tum yuun hi bolatay  Rehna.

All the cadets joined to sing in unison, exactly like the famous song of the Battle of the Bulge, “The Panzerlied”.  
I did not have a comfortable sleep last night as I dreamed of a bus going into a ravine and killing everyone, and was thus dozing – never realizing the moment of the dream to come true was just minutes away. I was suddenly awakened by a loud thud from the rear of the bus. I saw that Cadet Vincent Samuel standing in the rear door and was about to disembark. I felt the bus slipping from the road and falling in to the ravine. I remember reciting the Kalma, and the first impact of the rear of the Bus after having a free fall for a few seconds, everything suddenly went dark.
The place from which the bus skidded and fell down in the ravine near Donga Gali

In the meantime, Cadet Pir Sadiq, who was thrown out along with his seat  on the first impact and was miraculously unhurt, clambered over the rocks and climbed to the road.  Once on the road, he saw a light from a cottage at a little distance and rushed towards the cottage and knocked the doors frantically. The cottage was occupied by a lady doctor who had come to stay at Nathiagali along with her family.  Since her husband was not at the cottage, she was initially reluctant to open the door but when she saw a well-dressed boy standing at her door she asked what the problem was.  Pir Sadiq, overwhelmed by the accident could not explain the whole story, he just exclaimed, “Accident ! Accident! PMA cadets! Help!

The lady then came out, comforted him  and immediately called Kalabagh PAF Base and asked for help. She then gathered bed sheets and even her Saries to use as ropes. This daring lady then drove her car to the scene of accident and started the first organized rescue efforts. She helped Cadet Rahat to be pulled out of the ravine, but unfortunately this green eyed, tall, smart boy from Kashmir breathed his last in her lap. Then she went and called PMA to inform them about the accident.

Meantime I regained consciousness many times and heard people coming down and evacuating the dead and the wounded. Later it was revealed that they from PAF Base Kalabagh. Initially the wounded were taken to a dispensary at Mochidhara  (a small village between Nathiagali and Dongagali). There I saw a lady in a blue sari who very caringly wiped off blood from my face with her Sari. She seemed very familiar but I could not recognize her. Then she went out and helped injured Hamid Naqvi, supporting his arm over her shoulder Naqvi tried to focus on to the lady and then asked her: “Baji are you Neelo Baji?” To which she replied in the affirmative. Later I learnt that she was the famous Actress Neelo, who had come there for shooting and on hearing of the accident, came to help us.

Later the wounded and the dead were taken to CMH Abbottabad, where I witnessed how sometimes bad luck strikes twice. I saw one of the cadets being taken out of the ward with his family.
I inquired from the sister on duty as to what went wrong; she informed me that cadet’s elder brother (Flight Lieutenant Naseer Haider Malik) who was a fighter pilot had succumbed to the crash near Quetta. (The crash I mentioned in the beginning) 
Now correlate this with the earlier mention of  the air crash I mentioned at the beginning of the post.
 

 Arshad Aziz (left) - Iftikhar Hussain (right)
Arshad Aziz and Iftikhar Hussain were the first casualty of our course. After relegation they became part of 56 PMA L/C. When they were relegated, no one knew that their relegation was in fact a step towards an early meeting with their Creator.
Hamid was in the same ambulance in which Arshad Aziz was also taken to CMH Abbottabad. And just near the hospital, Arshad Aziz breathed his last.
  

The lucky survivors: Hamid, Mushtaq and Vincent

The accident took a heavy toll of the picnickers leaving 15 dead including our dear course mates Arshad Aziz and Iftikhar Hussain. May Allah Bless Arshad Aziz and Iftikhar Hussain and all cadets of 56 PMA Long Course who passed away in the Prime of their life - Ameen ya Rab ul Aallamin.
 

Namaz-e-Janaza of cadets who perished in the bus accident was held at PMA and later their bodies were dispatched to their home stations  by army helicopters (Photo shared by Dr Malik, brother in law of Arshad Aziz).

It has been 43 years since this dreadful accident, but the memories of Arshad and Iftikhar are still afresh. While not many photos of Iftikhar are available, Arshad had lot of friends and lot of photos, some even given to me by Dr Malik, brother in law of Arshad Aziz, who once read the course website and thanked me for remembering Arshad in as many good words as we could. 

Since these two earliest casualties, we have lost a lot many course mates as can bee seen on the header of the blog. May Allah bless them all and grant Jannah tul Firdous. Aameen

19 comments:

Jamil said...

Jalal it makes me so sad Brother, losing our comrades at PMA was a devastating news.
I remember the breaking news n than the whole academy in somber mood, offering of Namaz e Janaza.
May Almighty Allah rest souls of all the Shuhaddas of this accident.
I remember Arshad n Iftikhar excellent gentleman, may Almighty Allah bless them in Jannah tul Firdous, Aameen.
My love in prayers for the survivoers Hamid, Vincent n Mushtaq n all others.
Thanks for sharing the tragicJtragic story n pictures, may Allah bless you too.

Major javed said...

Great tribute.May ALLAH bless the departed souls in peace AAMEEN

Baqar said...

There could no better tribute to these course mates of ours. Unfortunately, unknown to us, their relegation was actually the first step toward their relegation from this material world to an eternal life.
May ALLAH SWT rest them all in eternal peace and bless them with choicest place in HIS jawar e rehmat. AAMEEN.

Zahir Khan said...

'Hasrat aati hay un ghunchoon pe jo, bin khilay murjha gaye'.
May their soul rest in eternal peace.

Unknown said...

In fact it was my elder brother late flt.lt Naseer Haider Malik who lost his life in that tragic crash while I was still in CMH. This is what the destiny is.

Unknown said...

Dear Comrades, this account of the Dongagali accident was authoured by me,since I was one of the survivors. It was mailed by me to some of my coursemates last year. I have the original account with me which is much more detailed. Surprisingly my original account has been reproduced without any reference or mention about me, which I feel is not fair.Most of the casualties were from my platoon, i.e Qasim 2. I have sent this article for publication in the Defence Journal therefore I request that the fact that it has been copied may please be made explicitly clear, to prevent any embarrassment regarding intellectual rights at a later stage.
I sincerely thank you for remembering my comrades on this day and pray to Almighty Allah to bless their souls and grant them with the choicest place in paradise Ameen. Best wishes and regards Lt Col Kaiser Hameed Khan (Retd). I can be contacted at khameedk@hotmail.com

Sm Shah said...

یہ پھول اپنی لطافت کی داد پا نہ سکا
کھلا ضرور مگر کھل کے مسکرا نہ سکا۔
May Allah bless the souls of all shuhada in eternal peace and He may grant them highest place in jannat. Ameen.

Unknown said...

Col Shujjat Latif was not a cadet, he was platoon commander with Qasim 2 Platoon. He suffered a spinal injury in the accident.

Jalal HB said...

Thank you Colonel Kaiser Hameed Khan for the clarification with regard to author of the eye witness account mentioned in the post. Since I did not have access to the originator, I mentioned a wrong name for this was told to me.

I have made appropriate amendment and replaced the name with your name giving due credit to you for the account. In fact I admired your mention of the famous song of the Battle of the Bulge, “The Panzerlied”, in your post, which I recalled from the film I saw many a times previously. And that is why I have shared the video clip of the song too.

I have also sent you an e-mail, clarifying my position and have amended the author's name in the post accordingly.

May all those who perished in the accident rest in peace. Aameen

Zahir Khan said...

I distinctly remember the fighter jets' mid-air collision on that fateful day as we were moving towards the SA ranges of Infantry School for weapon training period. The roaring jets overhead were otherwise in our attention when I observed a striking flash and sharp 'cling' sort of sound above and thereafter falling down of the jets' debris some distance away. The accident details were known latter in the day.

Qizilbash said...

Jalal you deserve a medal of merit to have covered this trajic incident in such detail and linking it with the air crash a day earlier. Not only have you received the memories of our coursemates who died in the accident but also of the dead from 56 L/C. The course was dated to suffer further in 9 mile and Koranga Lora while in infantry school. May Allah reward you for your efforts and may He reward all those who died with a high place in Jannat.

mfm157 said...

Assalam alikum. I am Arshad Aziz's niece. I am looking for more information on the accident that left a huge hole in our lives. Can someone point me in the direction of a survivor? We would love to connect.
Thank you,
Maleeha Malik

Jalal HB said...

My dear Maleeha Malik, I replied to your earlier request too, but perhaps you did not see it. Here I am repeating my reply for your very kind attention:
"Its good to find a link to our dearest Arshad Aziz through you. Are you related to Dr Tanveer Ahmad Malik, whom once I had e-mail contact and who shared a number of photos of Arshad which I shared in one of my earlier posts at following URl: Remembering Arshad Aziz I also wrote a post on the bus accident in which many good faces perished including Arshad. You may read the account at: 7th July 1977 - The day we lost two of our comrades You may like to correspond to Lt Col Kaiser Hameed Khan (Retd). who was aboard the ill fated bus and had written a detailed account of the accident(a portion of which is included in my above said post). He can be contacted at khameedk@hotmail.com"

mfm157 said...

My apologies, I did not see your previous reply to my comment. Yes, Dr. Tanveer Malik is my parents' cousin. I contacted Lt Col Kaiser Hameed Khan but I have not heard from him. I was born three years after Arshad's death. His face is as familiar to me as any living relative's face because his picture was in every home. We remember him as Arshad Mamu. I grew up hearing stories about him and I considered his parents like my grandparents. By all accounts Arshad was joyous, charming, quick-witted, and extremely caring. He was the most outgoing in all of his family. His death blasted through the lives of my family like a meteorite, forever changing the course of everyone's life. There were no phones back then so when his body arrived at our village, it was a shock beyond words. Arshad's father passed away a few years ago, but his mother is still alive- well into her 90's. Forty-three years after her son's death, she is still here. And Arshad was not the only child they lost in their lifetime. My mother and I recently discovered your blogpost on the evening of July 6th, 2020. As I mentioned, I am a writer. I was researching an old Urdu love story from the 1800s when Arshad's picture fell out of the pages of the old book. The next day was his death anniversary. Since then my mother and I have been talking about him non-stop. Your posts and the comments of other people on this post brought tears to our eyes. We are so grateful to you for keeping Arshad's memory alive. He is forever in our hearts. I wish to read more about the actual accident. I have some questions for my research purposes. In fact, we know very little of what actually happened that day. I am hoping to hear back from Lt Col Hameed Khan sahib, Asif Alvi sahib (his roommate) or anyone else who survived the accident. You can contact me at Maleeha.Malik@gmail.com. With gratitude, Maleeha Malik

Jalal HB said...

Your love for our dearest Arshad Aziz is exceptional. May Allah bless his mother. Do convey my best wishes to her and tell her that those who know him still remember him with his fond memories flashing by.

I will talk to his close associates in PMA and some of the survivors I know. If they allow me, I will share their contact numbers / e-mail.

Stay blessed and keep memories of Arshad and all those who perished in the accident alive forever. This is the least we can do for those very good men.

Jamil said...

Always feel sad for my friends who Lost their lives in this accident.
Jalal thanks for sharing the complete story joining all the dots with painful research n posting in this blog. Great job.
Read comments of Dr Maleeha n also Kaiser Khan n can feel their pain n loss.
May Almighty Allah bless those who left us too early.

mfm157 said...

I recently discovered some of Arshad Mamu's letters and a newspaper article about the accident. Jalal Uncle has kindly posted them under the blog post "Remembering Arshad Aziz". I hope you all get a chance to look at it.
-Maleeha

Jamil said...

Thx Maleeha, i will as Arshad was a very kind n humble friend n course mate. May Almighty Allah rest his soul in peace.

Unknown said...

Assalam O Alikum Everyone

This is Tariq, I am the younger brother of GC Zafar Masud (late) of Qasim Co. I appreciate it if you guys refer to any survivor of that bus tragedy. It's almost 45 years now but still, it's fresh in my mind and within all my family. My email: tariqsheraz@hotmail.com

Tariq